Hope this blog post finds you in the pink of health and great spirits. This is a difficult time and I’ve been in a reading slump like many others. For some reason after writing about my lack of motivation to read, I got very inspired and began binge reading short stories. This actually proved to be a good distraction from the tough events.
If you are new here, I took up a media diet for 1000 days where I planned to read a short story and a poem a day while minimizing time spent on social media and series. I decided to club this with one of my 2020 reading challenges called Deal Me In where you assign a short story to each playing card in a deck, draw a random card every week and read the assigned story.
I kind of over-committed and also went into a mode where I didn’t want to read, so instead of drawing the cards randomly and reading a story daily, I binge read a bunch of Guy de Maupassant’s short stories whenever I felt the urge to read. As for poetry, I’ve been reading a few poems from Emily Dickinson’s Complete Three Series Collection whenever I needed some poetry in my life.
Here are the short stories I read in the past 169 days with links to read them online:
Guy de Maupassant: Vol. 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
The full collection can all be read here. I really enjoyed reading this book. As with any collection, there will be some stories that you like and some that you don’t, but overall I would recommend this book.
Selected Stories by Oscar Wilde:
- The Model Millionaire
- The Happy Prince
- The Devoted Friend
- The Nightingale and the Rose
- The Star Child
- The Young King
- The Sphinx Without a Secret
- The Remarkable Rocket
- The Selfish Giant
- The Birthday of Infanta
- The Fisherman and His Soul
Selected Stories by Henry James:
Next up, I will be reading short stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I have 4 more cards to draw for the Deal Me In challenge and will try to draw random cards for the upcoming reading choices.
To keep the reading momentum going, I’m joining the Mythothon reading marathon this month. Here is the list of books I’ll be reading for each prompt:
1) Read a book with an animal on the cover or in the title.
2) Read a book featuring the fae or some other supernatural element.
3) Read a book featuring a rivalry.
4) Read a book featuring a friendship or with serious squad goals.
5) Read a book from a trilogy.
6) Read a book with food on the cover or in the title.
7) Read a book you already own.
8) Read a book written by a female author.
9) Read a book with a beautiful cover.
10) Read a book featuring mental health representation.
11) Read a book featuring royalty.
This is a tentative list and I might swap some books with graphic novels if I’m pressed for time. Do recommend some books for these categories in the comments below. Have you participated in any readathon? Let me know your experience with them.